We accept payment plans through Affirm Pay. Split invoices into easy monthly payments  over 3, 6, 12, 18, or 24 months.

Does an Unmarried Father Have Rights Regarding Paternity and Visitation in Oklahoma?

Table of Contents

Recent changes to Oklahoma law have significant implications for paternity and visitation rights. Effective November 1, 2022, HB 3193 grants equal rights and responsibilities to unmarried mothers and fathers upon signing an acknowledgment of paternity. While this suggests true parental equality, the reality is more nuanced and requires careful legal consideration.

If you're an unmarried father unsure of your legal position, seeking professional advice is crucial. The attorneys at Yarborough Law Group are dedicated to helping you comprehend and navigate these complexities to ensure the best outcome for you and your child.

Unmarried Fathers’ Paternity Rights in Oklahoma

As mentioned, recent legislation in Oklahoma has brought about major changes in the rights and responsibilities of unmarried parents, particularly in the context of establishing paternity.

Before HB 3193, the mother had sole custody and decision-making authority, regardless of whether an acknowledgment of paternity had been signed. This shift impacts the roles of both parents, empowering unmarried fathers with legal recognition and involvement in their children’s lives from birth onwards.

The new legislation also underscores the importance of understanding and signing the acknowledgment of paternity form during the process of receiving the child's birth certificate.

Despite this seeming legal equality, the changes have been minimal in practice. While the provision protects unmarried fathers from extreme cases like felony kidnapping charges, it's important to note that securing custody rights still often requires court intervention, especially in cases of parental separation.

This reality underscores the need for fathers to pursue formal custody orders to ensure shared parenting responsibilities and avoid potential disputes over custody and visitation with the child's mother.

Unmarried Parents Stats

Unmarried Fathers’ Child Custody and Visitation Rights

In Oklahoma, as in other states, family law upholds the rights of unmarried fathers. The initial step is establishing paternity, or confirmation of the identity of both the biological and legal father, often through a voluntary acknowledgment or court order. Once paternity is established, fathers can seek custody and visitation rights.

Decisions in the family court prioritize the child's best interests, considering factors like the father's relationship with the child and any history of abuse or substance use. Joint legal custody and shared decision-making authority are recognized alongside physical custody arrangements.

Child support is also determined by state guidelines that call for an examination of both parents’ incomes and other factors. When parents can’t agree on a plan, the court intervenes, making decisions based on the child's welfare. Court orders are binding, enforceable, and subject to contempt-of-court actions if not followed.

Unmarried Fathers and Adoption

Unmarried fathers involved in adoption proceedings face complex legal challenges beyond establishing paternity. Courts may require a demonstrated commitment to parenting, dismissing objections if there’s minimal contact with the child. Paternal rights are contingent on actively participating in the child's life, including financial support and post-birth involvement.

While involvement levels vary, efforts to establish a parental relationship are crucial in adoption decisions. When adoption actions arise, all parties with legal ties to the child must consent. Fathers with established paternity or who are listed in registries must be notified of proceedings and can file objections indicating an intent to seek custody.

The court conducts hearings considering such objections, again with a focus on the child's welfare. Strong ties and a commitment to parenting may sway the court against adoption. However, if certain legal rights aren't promptly established, attempts to contest adoption may be dismissed.

Seek Professional Legal Advice

Safeguarding your rights as an unmarried father in Oklahoma is paramount for maintaining a meaningful relationship with your child. By partnering with Yarborough Law Group, you can navigate the complexities of family law and ensure that your parental rights remain intact.

Whether it’s establishing paternity, seeking child support, or fighting to win custody, our experienced attorneys are here to advocate for you. With our unparalleled knowledge and resources, you can confidently assert your rights, promote your child's interests, and secure a bright future for your family.

Take the first step today — contact us for a consultation to learn more about your rights as an unmarried father.

Cole Yarborough

Cole Yarborough, a top graduate from Oklahoma City University School of Law, brings a unique blend of experience to Yarborough Law Group. His background as a private investigator, process server, and legal intern, combined with a family legacy in law and law enforcement, equips him with a comprehensive understanding of both criminal and civil law, making him a formidable advocate in various legal matters.

Protect Your Rights as an Unmarried Father

Schedule a consultation with our Oklahoma father’s rights lawyers today!

Free Consultation
Call or Text 24/7
(405) 606-3099

Can an unmarried father take a child from their mother in Oklahoma?

If the parents are unmarried and there’s no custody order in place, both parents have equal rights to the child. That means an unmarried father generally has the right to take the child from the mother as long as there are no legal restrictions or court orders preventing him from doing so.

However, it's important to note that taking the child without the mother's consent could lead to legal complications and disputes. It's typically advisable for unmarried parents to work out custody and visitation arrangements either through informal agreements or by seeking legal assistance to establish a formal custody order.

Does signing an acknowledgment of paternity automatically grant visitation rights?

While signing an acknowledgment of paternity establishes legal recognition as the father of a child, it doesn’t automatically grant visitation rights. Additional legal steps may be necessary to secure visitation rights through a court process or mutual agreement.

Can a mother refuse court-ordered visitation by the father?

If visitation is court-ordered, both parents are generally required to adhere to the terms unless modified by the court. Refusing court-ordered visitation without valid legal justification may have legal consequences. Any disputes should be resolved through appropriate legal channels.

Contact Information
contact us

Unsure About Your Legal Options? - Schedule a Free Consultation!

Experience the Yarborough Law Group difference. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and learn how we can assist you with your family law needs.

    Call or Text 24/7
    (405) 606-3099
    Thank you! Your submission has been received!
    Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

    * Communication through our website does not establish an attorney-client relationship between you and Yarborough Law Group, LLC

    Guaranteed response within 24 hours